Come and sketch in ‘the real’ south of France!
Languedoc is France’s best kept secret and a sketcher’s paradise! Classic French architecture, luscious green mountain trails, the Canal du Midi, vineyards as far as the eye can see, Roman cities, Cathar castles, the Mediterranean coast and sleepy winemaking villages, a potential sketch is waiting for you around every corner!
Where is the Languedoc?
Languedoc is situated in the south west corner of France bordering the Mediterranean, the Pyrenees mountains and Spain. The region is said to have at least 300 days of sunshine per year and the south of the area is officially the warmest place in France, so you can enjoy sketching in every season!
The area is very well served by 5 airports; Béziers (Ryanair), Carcassonne (Ryanair), Montpellier and Perpignan (International services) and Toulouse (International and Easyjet). The TGV service between Paris and Barcelona stops at local rail stations including Perpignan, Narbonne, Béziers and Montpellier.
Do email me if you are not sure about travel connections and distances.
About these short stay sketching holidays
These creative breaks are designed to help you capture the very essence of this beautiful area whilst also learning a whole new set of artistic skills. I like to take you slightly off the beaten track too, meeting local people and visiting some of my favourite cafes – getting a genuine taste of life as a local in this beautiful corner of France.
You’ll have a personalised and authentic experience not only in sketching and art, but your accommodation will be in carefully selected unique and beautiful houses, or even a chateau. You’ll be discovering the best local foods and wines and learning about the history of the region. When not out sketching you’ll have plenty of opportunities to explore, shop, swim and relax in your own time.
Who are these holidays for?
No previous drawing skills or painting experience is needed to enjoy these holidays – just a desire to learn, have fun and be creative! Whether travelling as a group or on your own, you’ll be among friends and having a lot of fun.
What can you expect?
- You will learn the essentials of travel sketching and creating a visual diary, topics will include perspective, people, landscapes and architecture
- We usually start our day with a warm-up sketch after breakfast
- We then start sketching on location and visit historic, iconic and lesser-known local sites
- We usually sketch and apply colour to our sketches over a classic French lunch and then you are free to practise, relax, shop, snooze, swim or explore some more
- Whatever your experience or skill level you will be able to work at your own pace
- Students usually form such strong bonds they stay together as a group and dine, sketch and socialise each evening too!
What do I need to bring?
If you do not have your own sketch kit, one will be available on loan or for purchase on arrival.
Workshop prices include approximately 5 hours of tuition per day, but bed and breakfast, drinks, evening meals and transport are excluded unless otherwise indicated.
Dates and locations are listed below – for further information, to ask any questions or plan a holiday for your group – please email email@example.com !
A sketchbook filled with your own unique holiday memories will be something you value forever